What is the best trigger?

Anschutz 5065 4K trigger (on 9015 / 9003 / 8002 Olympic 10m rifles) - available as a stand alone unit, to be fitted on custom made high end action blocks.... adjustable from 50g to 170g pull weight

ThomasAir Inc. fitted this to a few of his rifles, until he developped his own trigger; then there is ISP Air Stream (UK) barreled actions (12 ft/lb only) which was used until recently. but now uses a cheaper Anschutz 5018 modified trigger, and to some extent - RAW as these fine rifles are also used in LV & HV benchrest and have their own home made trigger...

Anschutz >> http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.php5?menu=503&sprache=1

4b21abbbbc685788af2b2fae808a5603.jpg

e0749471036fcda407488414f66b9a33.jpg

014d55bd200645d7a209e89a2dc802dc.jpg

bbf54a56c9f64709918ef22949abd9b4.jpg

RAW >> https://www.rapidairweapons.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17662&page=1

6b728b2db972c8ef3664842e65e5d5f7.jpg

"Light, crisp and predictable" which is always repeatable and never changes feel at all under any condition. NO need for it to be so darn elaborate a normal person couldn't figure out how it works. The RAW is a fine trigger. I asked for " c few ounces 1st stage and a crisp wall 1-2oz heavier, perfect.

This old daystate trigger felt fairly good but was more light than giving a positive feeling/feedback and was a pain to adjust.
2d956d895fc50d34821a5114d68257bf.jpg

John

It depends on the usage, really. 

The guys in my field target club have these hair triggers on their PCPs, that break at well under half a pound. One guy told me he likes to time it and when the reticle crosses the target, he just touches the trigger to send it. No perceivable staging. Just break. The guns don't tend to have safeties, so it really takes exemplary handling habits. They only load when they're in position and just ready to shoot, with the gun already pointed downrange. If something comes up that would require them to get up, they have to shoot it into the ground, just to be safe.

On a hunting gun, crisp, light (maybe 1-2 lbs.?) and predictable is good. I like a safety, so I can have the gun loaded and ready to go, and just flick off a silent safety. (rather than having to make the noise associated with loading and risk spooking the animal)

Jeremy you have described target shooting well. Thas is FT is a form of target shooting were trigger, and then gun control is tops. Hunting is another story trigger wise. Yes we who shoot targets that don't move like our triggers under 1#. I understand you need that 1+lb second.first stage for hunting as your 'first" trigger pull isn't going to be a kill shot and you need that resistance to hold back. As you said when a target shooter need to trip the sear it has to be near telepathic, but a hunter needs the extra weight to be sure the shot is correct.

It depends. On my airguns I like a 2 stage trigger that bumps up against the second stage and you just lightly squeeze and it breaks. It helps to prevent pulling too hard and causing the pellet to be off target. But the trigger on my 260 Remington (Tikka) is a single stage trigger with 2 lbs of force and I can outshoot any airgun with that gun.

"blackdiesel"It depends. On my airguns I like a 2 stage trigger that bumps up against the second stage and you just lightly squeeze and it breaks. It helps to prevent pulling too hard and causing the pellet to be off target. But the trigger on my 260 Remington (Tikka) is a single stage trigger with 2 lbs of force and I can outshoot any airgun with that gun.
That's not even an even comparison. I was popping a 12" plate dead center at 300yd with a .223 mosberg a few weeks ago. Wouldn't even come close to any .22 airgun in accuracy at that range. Why bring a firearm to an airgun fight?

"John_in_Ma"
"blackdiesel"It depends. On my airguns I like a 2 stage trigger that bumps up against the second stage and you just lightly squeeze and it breaks. It helps to prevent pulling too hard and causing the pellet to be off target. But the trigger on my 260 Remington (Tikka) is a single stage trigger with 2 lbs of force and I can outshoot any airgun with that gun.
That's not even an even comparison. I was popping a 12" plate dead center at 300yd with a .223 mosberg a few weeks ago. Wouldn't even come close to any .22 airgun in accuracy at that range. Why bring a firearm to an airgun fight?
I brought up the fact that, under certain circumstances, a single stage 2 lb trigger is better than a super lite, 2 stage target trigger in a different environment. It's a given that at very long range my firearm will out perform an airgun. But I'm talking about at any distance, from 50 yards to whatever.